featured

Well That Explains It

10:28 PMKim Hartmann



1, 2... 5 years had passed since I went off of birth control and had the miscarriage. In that time my doctor kept telling me that I was healthy but just needed to lose weight. Kris's doctor advised that he was not part of the issue of our infertility either. So I tried to lose the weight, in bursts any way. Did a couple of challenges with coworkers where I would lose 20 pounds and then gain it all right back and then some. I tried out for The Biggest Loser twice. (I still want to be on that show!) Losing weight is hard people. So many factors go into it. Diet, exercise, metabolism, activity, lifestyle, schedule, routine, determination, laziness, weakness, discouragement... and the list goes on. 

The struggleth is realeth.

And then you see women around you who are overweight too. And pregnant. Let me just tell you, the turmoil of emotions that were going on in my heart... I can't even. Jealousy is such a horrible feeling, truly, and I hated feeling that way. On one side I was so happy for them because they were not dealing with the same thing as me. But the other part of me was pitching a fit to God. 

In September of 2013, I was scheduled with another OB appointment. Once again we discussed the weight issue. Then she decided to schedule me for an ultrasound. That was certainly a new experience. Looking on the screen, you could see clusters of "pearl" shapes all around my ovaries. That was when I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Excuse me?! What the heck is that? Well, I learned that day that my ovaries are little selfish hoarders. They don't like to release any of their eggs so they build up into little cysts. This causes hormone issues, weight issues, infertility issues...well that explains it.

I still need to lose the weight in order to get pregnant but there is a medicine that will help clean house and regulate my ovaries. The struggle will still be extremely difficult. But at least now I know what the deal is. Here is some info on PCOS, just in case you were wondering.

What is PCOS?


PCOS is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, also known as Stein-Leventhal Syndrome, and is one of the most common hormonal endocrine disorders in women. PCOS has been recognized and diagnosed for seventy-five years. There are many signs and symptoms that a woman may experience. Since PCOS cannot be diagnosed with one test alone and symptoms vary from woman to woman, PCOS has been known as the “Silent Killer”. Early diagnosis of PCOS is important as it has been linked to an increased risk for developing several medical risks including insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
Many women may experience weight gain or obesity, yet there are others who may be very lean. Multiple cysts on ovaries in a "string of pearls” pattern is also an indicator for PCOS. In addition, this hormonal imbalance can cause Insulin Resistance, which is also a prime indicator that you may have PCOS. Women suffering from PCOS may experience high testosterone levels, which cause other signs and symptoms such as Hirsutism (excessive hair growth), male pattern baldness and acne. This high level of testosterone can also prevent the ovaries from releasing an egg each month.
5-10% of women of childbearing age are affected by PCOS, with less than 50% of women diagnosed. This leaves millions of women undiagnosed. PCOS is responsible for 70% of infertility issues in women who have difficulty ovulating.




You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form